WellConnected is a program offering free online therapy to residents of St. Tammany, Washington, Tangipahoa, and St. Helena Parishes that were affected by Hurricane Ida and interested in seeking support for their emotional and mental wellness.
Through a grant from the Northshore Community Foundation, NAMI St. Tammany will facilitate participation into the WellConnected program through referrals from local providers and direct calls from interested individuals.
Who is WellConnected for?
Getting back on your feet after a natural disaster or other life events can take time. Finding support is an important step to improving our mental health and overall well-being. WellConnected is a great place to start. Don’t let your budget, busy schedule, or stigma prevent you from getting help. If you are experiencing any of the following, consider enrolling today.
- Unexpected mood swings
- Experiencing a life change
- Having harmful thoughts
- Withdrawing from things that used to bring you joy
- Feeling isolated or alone
- Using a substance to cope with issues
- Suspect you might have a serious mental health condition
- Feel like you’ve lost control
- Relationships feeling strained
- Sleeping patterns are off
- Needing someone to talk to
Countless studies on mental health effects following natural disasters establish a well-connected pattern. Research shows that there is a marked increase in completed suicides within a 2-year window following a natural disaster event. In our region, there has been an average increase of 41% of completed suicides in the two years following each local disaster, including Hurricanes Katrina, Gustav, Isaac, and the 2016 March floods.
Regionally, there is extremely limited capacity of existing mental health providers to add additional patients. Couple access problems with other barriers to treatment like perceived stigma, affordability and work/life appointment time conflicts and we have a segment of our population who needs help but is not getting it.
The purpose of the initiative is to address Ida-related mental health needs on the Northshore and disrupt the pattern of well-documented risks and relapse of mental health conditions, substance use and the increase in completed suicides after a natural disaster. This program is also intended to capture analytics to document life-saving success.
WellConnected is a great place to start. We want to provide our residents with a way to find support for their mental health and overall well-being, particularly for those of us impacted by Hurricane Ida. Getting back on your feet after a natural disaster takes time and requires support.
How it works?
- WellConnected has partnered with Talkspace, global leader in online therapy, to provide a confidential and secure digital space for private and convenient mental health support.
- The first step is to call or email us! We will confirm your eligibility, answer any questions you may have and walk you through the registration process with Talkspace.
- With Talkspace, you are matched with a recommended licensed provider based on your preferences. The matching process can take up to 48 hours, but it is typically pretty quick. You can then begin to receive support day and night from the convenience of your device (iOS, Android, and Web).
What is Talkspace?
Talkspace connects members to thousands of dedicated providers from a secure, HIPAA-compliant app (desktop, Android, iOS). With Talkspace, members can quickly register with a dedicated, licensed provider for one-to-one counseling and therapy. Members can send their therapist text, voice or video messages–anytime, anywhere. Self-guided tools – such as journaling and meditations – are also available. Talkspace is not an emergency support line. Talkspace communication is confidential and secure.
In a study of 10,000 Talkspace member participants, 70% experienced significant symptom improvement and 50% fully recovered after 12 weeks of regular engagement with their Talkspace therapist.
Who is Eligible?
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Resident of the following parishes:
- St. Tammany Parish
- Washington Parish
- Tangipahoa Parish
- St. Helena Parish
- Affected by Hurricane Ida
Get Started Today!
Call us today to get started. We will answer any questions and give you step-by-step instructions to ensure easy enrollment. You can be registered with your therapist within 48 hours.
This collaborative initiative is funded by a grant through the Northshore Community Foundation and facilitated by NAMI St. Tammany.